1. I am sure she (to do)____________well if she (to go) -----------to University. She is bright. Recently she (to take part) ------------------- in several maths competitions and (to be) -------------------a success. At the last competition she (to award)____________a special prize.
2. Mary asked me if I (to see) ____________Helen lately and said that they both (to come) ____________to my birthday party next Friday. I said I (to be) ____________delighted to see them.
3. — The roads are wet. It (to rain)------------------------------since midnight. Ask Dad if he (to drive)_______________to work today.
— I don't think so. Yesterday when we (to drive)---------------------- on the motorway late at night we (to see)---------a terrible accident.
1. Would you like to stay in ... town or go to ... country ... next Sunday.
2. Janet is ... reporter who writes ... interesting articles about ... space travels.
3. ... Great Fire of London started at ... night in ... street not far from London and spread very quickly as ... hot east wind was blowing.
III. Вставьте правильный предлог или послелог, где необходимо.
1. They saw a man ... a suitcase ... one hand and a bag ... the other entering ... the hotel.
2. ... 11 o'clock exactly ... Friday morning, Miss Blake was standing ... the bus-stop.
Chris and Jeff are talking about life in big cities and in the country. Ch:.___________________________________________________
J: I lived in New York five years ago. Ch:.____________
J: Not very much. There were too many people, and there was too much noise.
J: Most young people go to New York because they want excitement.
J: Yes, it is. New York is too expensive for young people.
J: As I was born in a small town I just want a quiet life. That's all.
1. I don't know (тоже)______what kept him so late.
2. Stop (делать)___________excuses! It's all my fault.
3. Is there (что-то)____________else you would like me to explain to you?
4. When he was a kid, he had two pets. One was a black dog, (другой) ___________ was an orange cat.
5. What other Newton's laws do you know (кроме)-------------his theory of gravitation.
6. Peter doesn't take after his (старший)__________ brother
7. Life is (намного)__________easier and more convenient now.
8. Actions (говорят)__________ louder than words.
VII. Выберите правильный вариант.
1. a) So delicious cakes!
b) What delicious cakes!
c) How delicious the cakes! .
2. a) Had you dinner yet.
b) Did you have dinner yet?
c) Have you had dinner yet?
1. How is your sister? a. Pretty good, thank you.
2. How's business? b. Delightful!
3. How about going on a picnic? c. Very well, thank you.
I. 1. will do (would do); goes (went); has taken (took); has been (was); was awarded
2. had seen; would come (were coming); would be
3. has been raining (has rained); will drive (drives; is driving); were driving; saw
II. 1. -; the; -
2. a; -; -
3. the; -; a; a
III. 1. with; in; in; -
2. at; on; at
IV. 1. He didn’t seem to take any interest in anything.
2. (Recently) The name of the street has been (recently) changed recently.
3. Were you too tired to do your homework last night?
V. 1. When did you live in New York? (Where did you live 5 years ago?)
2. How did you like it there? (Did you like to live in New York?)
3. Why do most young people go to New York then?
4. Is New York an expensive city? (Is life in New York expensive?)
5. Why did you leave New York?
VI. 1. either; 2. making; 3. anything; 4. the other; 5. besides; 6. elder; 7. much; 8. speak
VII. 1b; 2c
VIII. 1c; 2a; 3b