1. This morning at 10 o'clock I went to see Mr. Amis on business. We (to arrange)____________this meeting beforehand. When I (to come) ._________ into the office the secretary (to tell) _______me that Mr. Amis (to return)____________from the conferencesomewhat later. I (to ask)____________to sit down and (to offer)____________a cup of coffee. While I (to have)____________my coffee Mr. Amis (to come in)__________«(to wait) ______________you long?» he asked most politely.
2. Close the window. It (to rain)_____________ The weather (to change) ____________ greatly since yesterday. If it (not to brighten up) ______________________we'll have a snowfall tomorrow.
Captain Smith was :.. captain of «The Titanic». He hoped to prove that «The Titanic» was ... fastest ship in ... world. Although it was early spring he led ... ship to ... north. He knew that there were ... icebergs, but «The Titanic» was considered to be ... unsinkable ship.
When he understood his mistake he helped to evacuate ... passengers and died ... hero. He was one of ... 1490 people who drowned on that terrible night.
III. Вставьте правильный предлог или послелог, где необходимо.
1. I am not satisfied ... my progress ... maths.
2. He was ... such a hurry, so he left ... the party ... saying good-buy to the host.
3. Luckily we arrived ... the station ... fifteen minutes after we had left home.
Nick and Eric are talking about the summer holiday.
E: I took a trip around Europe.
E: By train.
E: No, it was quite cheap. I bought a railcard.
E: A couple of friends came with me.
E: We have been to six or seven countries.
1. Very (мало)_________customers were satisfied with the service.
2. This way is (намного)_________safer than the other one.
3. At that time it began raining (сильно)_______ .
4. I am afraid Jane doesn't (делает)_______any housework at all.
5. (Никто)_________of his parents realised what was happening.
6. He said he would like to (лежать)_________in the sun for an hour.
7. Some people keep dogs as pets, (другие)_________have cats.
8. Sometimes the girl felt (взволнованной)__________without any reason.
VII. Выберите правильный вариант.
1. a) They reached to the lake at night.
b) They reached the lake at night
c) They reached at the lake at night.
2. a) Dick worked hard last term and was a success.
b) Dick worked hard last term, and had a success.
c) Dick has worked hard last term and was a success.
VIII. Соедините по смыслу фразы из левой и правой колонок.
1. What's Betty like? a. She is fine.
2. What is Betty? b. She is diligent.
3. How is Betty? c. She is a secretary.
I. 1. had arranged; came; told; would return; was asked; was offered; was having (had); came in; have been waiting (have waited)
2. is raining; has changed; doesn’t brighten up
II. the; the; the; the; the; -; an; the; a; the
III. l.with; in
2. in; -; without
3. at; in
IV. 1. There is no excuse for his not coming to the exam in time. (There is no excuse for his coming to the exam not in time)
2. Will the house next to ours be finished this year?
3. Watching sports on television is very relaxing.
V. 1. How did you spend your summer holidays?
2. How did you travel?
3. Was it expensive?
4. With whom did you travel? (Did you travel alone? Did anybody else come with you?)
5. How many countries have you visited (been to)?
VI. 1. few; 2. much; 3. hard (heavily); 4. do; 5. neither; 6. to lie; 7. others; 8. excited
VII. lb; 2a
VIII. lb; 2c; 3a