I. Откройте скобки, употребив глагол в правильной временной форме.
One bright summer morning a well-dressed young man who (to look)___ like a gentleman (to come)___to see a well-known dentist in Picadilly street. He (to show)___into the waiting-room by the nurse and she (to tell)___him that the dentist (to be)___ready to see him in a few minutes. The dentist (to attend)___to another case at that time but he (to happen)___to look through the door which only partially (to shut)___He (to see)___that the man (to put) ___various silver things into his pockets. The dentist requested him to come into his dentistry and to be seated. On finishing the examination he said: "If you (not to empty)___your pockets two of your front teeth (to pull out)___right now".
II. Вставьте артикль, где необходимо.
1. Everybody in ... office except ... boss comes to ... work on ... foot.
2. ... Port of London is to ... east of ... City. This is ... East End of London, unattracitive in ... appearance, but very important to ... country's commerce.
III. Вставьте правильный предлог или послелог, где необходимо.
1. The doctor asked me if I could take care ... my friend as there was nobody else but me who could look ... him while his parents were ... holiday.
2. The passengers were standing ... a queue, waiting ... their turn to get ... board ... the plane.
IV. Составьте предложения, расположив слова в нужном порядке.
V. Закончите диалог вопросами, подходящими по смыслу.
The Blake family are going to have dinner.
Mrs. B. I'd like to have dinner in the garden.
Mr. B: ___
Mrs. B: Yes, I'd like to have a cold drink.
Mrs. B: I have cooked chicken with rice and vegetables.
Mr. B: Excellent.___
Mrs. B: Your favourite apple-pie.
Mrs. B: Simon and Brenda are dining out today.
VI. Переведите на английский язык слова, данные в скобках.
- (Ни одна)___of my two younger sisters can dance well.
- Our sitting-room is (намного)___smaller than yours.
- I don't know (кого-нибудь)___who can do it better than you..
- Some people like summer best, (другие)___prefer spring.
- Well, girls, who is going to (накрыть)___the table for tea?
- I haven't taken (достаточно)___water for four cups.
- They (рассказали)___ us an interesting story.
- The boy works on computer so (хорошо)___.
VII. Выберите правильный вариант.
а) Не hopes to find a job easy.
b) He hopes to find a job easier.
c) He hopes to find a job easily.
a) When has it started to give you pain?
b) When did it start to give you pain?
c) When had it started to give you pain?
VIII. Соедините по смыслу фразы из левой и правой колонок.
1. She isn't sorry indeed. a. And I am not.
2. He isn't pleased with anything here. b. Neither am I.
3. He is leaving. c. Isn't she?
I. looked; came; was shown; told; would be ready; was attending; happened; was shut; saw; was putting; don"t empty; will be pulled out
II. 1. the; the;-;-
2. the; the; the; the; -; the
III. 1. of; after; on
2. in; for; on; -
IV. 1. She was sitting there waiting for the phone to ring.
2. Since when has she lived in London?
3. You are not allowed to smoke in the corridors.
V. 1. Where would you like to have dinner?
2. Would you like a drink?
3. What have you cooked for dinner today?
4. What have you cooked for dessert? (What have we got for dessert?)
5. Are Simon and Brenda coming for dinner? (Where are Simon and Brenda having dinner today?) (What about Simon and Brenda?)
VI. 1. neither; 2. much; 3. anybody; 4. others; 5. lay; 6. enough; 7. told; 8. well
VII. 1c; 2b
VIII. 1c(b); 2b; 3a