I. Откройте скобки, употребив глагол в правильной временной форме.
— Would you like to come to the cinema with me, Nick?
— No. I (to work)___all day and I am tired.
— And you (to come) ___when you (to finish)___resting?
— What film is on at the cinema?
— It's a new war film and it (to base) ___on a war novel.
— Oh, I (to see)___it a week ago. I (to read)___the novel before I (to go)___to see it.
2. Look, it (to rain) ___outside. The rain (to start)___when I (to go)___o the hairdresser's, butwhen I (to come)___ out it (to pour)___.
II. Вставьте артикль, где необходимо.
1. I went to ... central post-office in ... Church Street to buy ... stamps. When I came there, ... postmaster said there was ... letter for me.
2. ... fuel that ... cars use is called ... petrol in Great Britain, but in ... USA they call it ... gas.
III. Вставьте правильный предлог или послелог, где необходимо.
1. What were George's reasons ... giving ... his job?
2. I heard this news ... Monday morning ... the radio.
3. They reached ... the lake ... foot and then continued their trip ... car.
IV. Составьте предложения, расположив слова в нужном порядке.
V. Закончите диалог вопросами, подходящими по смыслу.
Joe is back from his holiday. He is talking to Helen about it. H:___
J: I spent my holiday at the seaside.
J: The weather was beautiful and the sea was warm.
J: No. My wife never goes on holiday with me.
J: Yes, I could. There were tennis courts and a swimming pool on the private beach.
J: I had breakfast and supper in the restaurant at the hotel.
VI. Переведите на английский язык слова, данные в скобках.
1. They have (меньше) ___ work this year.
2. The supermarket is on (другой)___side of the street.
3. Give him a good mark to (поднять)_________his self-respect.
4. John had skipped a lot of lessons and in the end refused to (сдавать) ___ the exams.
5. The soup smells very (хорошо)___.
6. It's important for all of us to have confidence in our own abilities. We need to believe in (себя)___
7. He can (решить) ___any difficult puzzle in ten minutes.
8.1 met them long ago, so I don't remember (никого)___of them.
VII. Выберите правильный вариант.
1. a) She has to be careful after the accident, hasn't she?
b) She has to be careful after the accident, doesn't she?
c) She has to be careful after the accident, has she?
2. a) If it will rain again, I don't know how to dress.
b) If it rained again, I don't know how to dress.
c) If it rains again, I don't know how to dress.
VIII. Соедините по смыслу фразы из левой и правой колонок.
1. Excuse my back. a. That's really nothing.
2. May I see you home? b. That's quite all right.
3. You've done me a great favour. c. That's fine.
I. 1. have been working (have worked); will come (are coming); finish (have finished); is based (was based; has been based); saw; had read; went 2. is raining; started (was starting); was going (went); came out; was pouring
II. 1. the; -; -; the; a 2. the; -; -; the; -
III. 1. for; up
2. on; over (on)
3. -; on; by (in a)
IV. 1. Is the story you told me last time true?
2. I said that I liked some classical music but not all.
3. He wanted to know how much the suit cost.
V. 1. Where did you spend your holiday?
2. What was the weather like?
3. Do you usually spend your holiday with your wife? (Did your wife go with you?)
4. Could you do sports there?
5. Where did you have your meals? (Where did you eat?)
VI. 1. less; 2. the other; 3. to raise; 4. to take; 5. good; 6. ourselves; 7. solve; 8. any (anyone)
VII. 1b; 2c
VIII. 1b; 2c; 3a