√ Complete the sentences using by.
√ Put in by, in or on.
√ Put in the correct preposition: by, in, on or with.
1 Complete the sentences using by + one of the following:
chance, chance, cheque, hand, mistake, satellite
1. We hadn't arranged to meet. We met _by chance._
2. I didn't intend to take your umbrella. I took it ---.
3. I didn't put the pullover in the washing machine. I washed it ---.
4, If you haven't got any cash, you can pay ---.
5. The two cities were connected --- for a television programme.
6. I never suspected anything. It was only --- that I found out what had happened.
2 Put in by, in or on.
1. Liz usually goes to work _by_ bus.
2. I saw Jane this morning. She was --- the bus.
3. How did you get here? Did you come --- train?
4. How did you get here? Did you come --- the train?
5. I decided not to go --- car. I went --- my bike instead.
6. I didn't feel like walking home, so I came home --- a taxi.
7. Sorry we're late. We missed the bus, so we had to come --- foot.
8. How long does it take to cross the Atlantic --- sea?
3 Write three sentences like the examples. Write about a book, a song, a painting, a film etc.
1. _'War and Peace' is a book by Tolstoy._
2. _'Romeo and Juliet' is a play by Shakespeare._
4 Put in the correct preposition: by, in, on or with.
1. Who is that man standing --- the window?
2. I managed to put the fire out --- a fire extinguisher.
3. The plane was badly damaged --- lightning.
4. These photographs were taken --- a friend of mine.
5. These photographs were taken --- a very good camera.
6. I don't mind going --- car but I don't want to go your car.
7. Shall we get a taxi or shall we go --- foot?
8. What's that music? I know it's --- Beethoven but I can't remember what it's called.
9. There was a small table --- the bed a lamp and a clock it.
10. Our team lost the game only because of a mistake --- one of our players.
5 Complete the sentences using by.
1. Clare's salary was 1,000 pounds a month. Now it is
Her salary _has increased by
2. My daily newspaper used to cost 50 pence. From today it costs 60 pence. The price has gone up ---.
3. There was an election. Helen got 25 votes and Norman got 23.
Helen won ---.
4. I went to Kate's house to see her but she had gone out five minutes before I arrived.
I missed ---.