A. It was nice of you to ... nice/kind/good/generous/polite/silly/stupid etc. of somebody
(to do something):
nice/kind of you to help me.
but (be) nice/kind/good/generous/polite/friendly/cruel etc. TO somebody:
They have always been very nice/kind to me. (not 'with me')
Why were you so unfriendly to Tessa?
B. Прилагательное + about/with:
Angry/annoyed/furious ABOUT something
angry/annoyed/furious WITH somebody FOR doing something
It's stupid to get angry about things that don't matter.
Are you annoyed with me for being late?
Excited/worried/upset/nervous/happy etc. ABOUT something:
Are you excited about going on holiday next week?
Carol is upset about not being invited to the party.
Delighted/pleased/satisfied/disappointed WITH something:
I was delighted with the present you gave me.
Were you disappointed with your exam results?
C. Прилагательное + at/by/with
Surprised/shocked/amazed/astonished AT/BY something:
Everybody was surprised at (or by) the news.
I hope you weren't shocked by (or at) what I said.
impressed WITH/BY somebody/something:
I'm very impressed with (or by) her English. It's very good.
fed up/bored WITH something:
I don't enjoy my job any more. I'm fed up with it./I'm bored with it.
D. sorry about/for
sorry ABOUT something:
I'm sorry a out t e noise last night. We were having a party.
but usually sorry FOR doing something:
I'm sorry for shouting at you yesterday.
You can also say 'I'm sorry I (did something)':
I'm sorry I shouted at you yesterday.
We say 'to feel/to be sorry FOR somebody':
I feel sorry for George. He has a lot of problems.
EXERCISES 1 Write sentences using nice of ..., kind of ... etc.
1. I went out in the cold without a coat.
2. Sue offered to drive me to the airport.
3. I needed money and Ian gave me some.
4. They didn't invite us to their party.
5. Can I help you with your luggage?
6. Kevin didn't thank me for the present.
7. They've had an argument and now they refuse to speak to each other.
(silly) _That was silly of you._ (nice) That was her. (generous) That .
(not very nice) That wasn't . (very kind) you. (not very polite) . (a bit childish) .
2 Complete the sentences using one of the following adjectives + the correct preposition: annoyed annoyed astonished bored excited impressed kind sorry
1. We're all _excited about_ going on holiday next week.
2. Thank you for all your help. You've been very me.
3. I wouldn't like to be in her position. I feel her.
4. What have I done wrong? Why are you me?
5. Why do you always get so little things?
6. I wasn't very the service in the restaurant. We had to wait ages before our food arrived.
7. John isn't happy at college. He says he's the course he's doing.
8. I had never seen so many people before. I was the crowds.
3 Put in the correct preposition.
1. I was delighted _with_ the present you gave me.
2. It was very nice you to do my shopping for me. Thank you very much.
3. Why are you always so rude your parents? Can't you be nice them?
4. It was a bit careless you to leave the door unlocked when you went out.
5. They didn't reply to our letter, which wasn't very polite them.
6. We always have the same food every day. I'm fed up it.
7. I can't understand people who are cruel animals.
8. We enjoyed our holiday, but we were a bit disappointed the hotel.
9. I was surprised the way he behaved. It was completely out of character.
10. I've been trying to learn Spanish but I'm not very satisfied my progress.
11. Linda doesn't look very well. I'm worried her.
12. Are you angry what happened?
13. I'm sorry what I said. I hope you're not angry me.
14. The people next door are furious us making so much noise last night.
15. Jill starts her new job next week. She's quite excited it.
16. I'm sorry the smell of paint in this room. I've just decorated it.
17. I was shocked what I saw. I'd never seen anything like it before.
18. The man we interviewed for the job was intelligent but we weren't very impressed his appearance.
19. Are you still upset what I said to you yesterday?
20. He said he was sorry the situation but there was nothing he could do.
21. I felt sorry the children when we went on holiday. It rained every day and they had to spend most of the time indoors.
2 That was nice of her.
3 That was generous of him.
4 That wasn't very nice of them.
5 That's very kind of you.
6 That wasn't very polite of him.
7 That's bit childish of them.
2 kind to
3 sorry for
4 annoyed with
5 annoyed about
6 impressed with/impressed by
7 bored with (or bored by)
8 astonished at/astonished by
3 to ... to
13 sorry about or sorry for ... angry with
14 furious with us for making