1 Complete the sentences with on time or in time.
1. The bus was late this morning but it's usually _on time._
2. The film was supposed to start at 8.30 but it didn't begin ---.
3. I like to get up --- to have a big breakfast before going to work.
4. We want to start the meeting --- so please don't be late.
5. I've just washed this shirt. I want to wear it this evening, so I hope it will be dry ---.
6. The train service isn't very good. The trains are rarely ---.
7. I nearly missed my flight this morning. I got to the airport just ---.
8. I nearly forgot that it was Joe's birthday. Fortunately I remembered ---.
9. Why are you never ---? You always keep everybody waiting.
2 Read the situations and make sentences using just in time.
1. A child ran across the road in front of your car. You saw the child at the last moment. (manage/stop) _I managed to stop just in time._
2. You were walking home without an umbrella. just after you got home, it started to rain very heavily. (get/home) ---.
3. Tim was going to sit on the chair you had just painted. You said, 'Don't sit in that chair!', so he didn't. (stop/him) I ---.
4. You went to the cinema. You were a bit late and you thought you would miss the beginning of the film. But the film began just as you sat down in the cinema. (get/cinema/beginning of the film) ---.
3 Complete the sentences using at the end + one of the following:
the course the interview the match the month the race
1. All the players shook hands _at the end of the match._
2. I normally get paid ---.
3. The students had a party ---.
4. Two of the runners collapsed ---.
5. To my surprise I was offered the job ---.
4 Write sentences with In the end. Use the verb in brackets.
1. We had a lot of problems with our car. (sell) _in the end we sold it._
2. Judy got more and more fed up with her job. (resign) ---.
3. I tried to learn German but I found it too difficult. (give up) ---.
4. We couldn't decide whether to go to the party or not. (not/go) ---.
5 Put in at or in.
1. I'm going away _at_ the end of the month.
2. It took me a long time to find a job --- the end I got a job in a hotel.
3. Are you going away --- the beginning of August or --- the end?
4. I couldn't decide what to buy Mary for her birthday. I didn't buy her anything --- the end.
5. We waited ages for a taxi. We gave up --- the end and walked home.
6. I'll be moving to a new address --- the end of September.
7. At first Helen didn't want to go to the theatre but she came with us --- the end.
8. I'm going away --- the end of this week.
9. '1 didn't know what to do.' 'Yes, you were in a difficult position. What did you do --- the end?'
2 on time
4 on time
6 on time
9 on time
2 I/we got home just in time.
3 I/stopped him just in time.
4 I/we got to the cinema just in time for the beginning of the film.
2 at the end of the month
3 at the end of the course
4 at the end of the race
5 at the end of the interview