1. What caused the explosion? What was the cause _of the explosion?_
2. We're trying to solve the problem. We're trying to find a solution ---.
3. Sue gets on well with her brother. Sue has a good relationship ---.
4. Prices have gone up a lot. There has been a big increase ---.
5. I don't know how to answer your question. I can't think of an answer ---.
6. I don't think that a new road is necessary. I don't think there is any need - --.
7. The number of people without jobs fell last month. Last month there was a fall ---.
8. Nobody wants to buy shoes like these any more. There is no demand ---.
2 Complete the sentences using one of the following nouns + the correct preposition.
cause / connection / invitation / map / reason / damage / contact / key / pictures / reply
1. On the wall there were some pictures and a _map of_ the world.
2. Thank you for the --- your party next week.
3. Since she left home two years ago, she has had little --- her family.
4. I can't open this door. Have you got a --- the other door?
5. The --- the fire at the hotel last night is still unknown.
6. I wrote to Jim last week, but I still haven't received a --- my letter.
7. The two companies are completely independent. There is no --- them.
8. Jane showed me some old --- the city as it looked 100 years ago.
9. Carol has decided to give up her job. I don't know her --- doing this.
10. It wasn't a bad accident. The --- the car wasn't serious.
3 Complete the sentences with the correct preposition.
1. There are some differences _between_ British and American English.
2. Everything can be explained. There's a reason --- everything.
3. If I give you the camera, can you take a photograph --- me?
4. Money isn't the solution --- every problem.
5. There has been an increase --- the amount of traffic using this road.
6. When I opened the envelope, I was delighted to find a cheque ---
7. The advantage --- having a car is that you don't have to rely on public transport.
8. There are many advantages --- being able to speak a foreign language.
9. When Paul left home, his attitude --- his parents seemed to change.
10. Bill and I used to be good friends but I don't have much contact --- him now.
11. There has been a sharp rise --- the cost of living in the past few years.
12. I'm sorry I haven't written to you for so long. The reason --- this is that I've been ill.
13. What was Emma's reaction --- the news?
14. Ken showed me a photograph --- the house where he lived as a child.
15. The company has rejected the workers' demands --- a rise pay.
16. What was the answer --- question
17. The fact that Jane was offered a job has no connection --- the fact that her cousin is the managing director.
2 to the problem
3 with her brother
5 to your question
6 for a new road
8 for shoes like these any more
9 between your job and mine
2 invitaion to
3 contact with
4 key to
5 cause of
6 reply to
7 connection between
8 pictures of
9 reason for
10 damage to
9 to or towards
15 for a rise in pay